The magnet type with the highest flux levels, is used for applications that demand high energy and miniaturization.
Rare earth Neodymium magnets (NdFeB) have been available for industrial use since 1984. Neo magnets have extremely high magnetic energy and therefore are used in applications that require high-powered magnets and applications where size and weight reduction are of interest or need to be considered. These qualities have made NdFeB magnets preferable over the commonly used larger and less powerful Ferrite magnets.
Neodymium magnets can be divided into 3 main groups:
- Regular Neodymium
- High corrosion-resistant Neodymium
- Bonded Neodymium (Isotropic): Manufactured by the injection of plastic material and Neodymium into a mold. This production method yields a very precise magnet that does not require further grinding and does not suffer substantial current loss.
Neo magnets are known for their high-temperature resistance, making them durable and functional in temperatures exceeding 200°C. This quality makes them ideal for heavy industry applications. Sintered Neodymium, however, is sensitive to oxidization and can develop corrosion, so magnets are usually coated with Zinc, Nickel (and more different coatings) for their protection.
Applications for Neo Magnets:
NdFeB magnets can be used for a wide variety of applications, for example:
- Electronics – Sensors, hard disk drives, sophisticated switches, electro-mechanical devices, etc.
- Auto Industry – DC motors (hybrid and electric), small high-performance motors, power steering.
- Medical – MRI equipment and scanners.
- Clean Tech Energy – Water flow enhancement, wind turbines.
- Magnetic Separators – Used for recycling, food and liquids QC, and waste removal.
- Magnetic Bearing – Used for highly sensitive and delicate procedures in various heavy industries.